First create a new Hot-Accounts database.
- Create a new Hot-Accounts database
- Define new (bank) accounts
- Initialize account balances
- Check account balances
Do you get an error while selecting or creating a Hot-Accounts database? This means that the prerequisite software in step 2 of the installation procedure has not been installed correctly. You have to redo step2 in that case. Also check if your computer is 64 bit, otherwise you have to install the 32 bit version. Another problem arises when you would install Hot-Accounts (step 3) before installing the ClickOnce extension in Google Chrome (step 1). In that case, first remove Hot-Accounts from your computer and restart the installation procedure. Please leave a message on the contact form if the installation still doesn’t succeed.
Next learn to use basic program functions
The best way to proceed now is to continue reading the Install and Basic Functions manual. Basic program functions and features such as typical screen layout, accounts, manual transactions, budget overviews, printing, tooltips help and Cash Books are explained in detail. Some of these functions are also explained in the screencasts Intro4, Intro5 and Intro9 here on this page.
Next you might look at the Import Transactions function of the program. The screencasts on the Learn More page are devoted to this subject. There is also a (Dutch) manual.
As most banks provide bank statements in either Excel of CSV format, you can import them easily in your Hot-Accounts database. In general the resulting transactions will contain a date, an amount and a reference. For a number of Belgian banks (currently KBC, Argenta and Keytrade) a more advanced import is also possible. This conversion tool also extracts counterparty information, making an automatic assignment of the budget item category easier.
You might watch next screencast (IntroGS3) here on this page, just to get an idea of the advanced import functions. Note however that it will be difficult to follow all steps without first reading the basic manual and the explaining screencasts on the Learn More page.
- Define a new budget item (e.g. ‘Housing’)
- Import Transactions
- Define a transfer between own accounts
- Define an expense
- Check account balances (=your current financial situation)
- Check with Budget Overview if you are living within your means
Learn more about manual transactions and basic features
- Show/Search/Limit Transactions
- Number of Records Shown
- Show the Account Balance in an extra column
- Backup/Restore a Hot-Accounts database
- Insert/Update/Delete/Multi-Row Delete
- Same-As insert
- Paste, Paste Next, Paste Previous
- Cleanup transactions
Backup and Restore are now selectable menu item options
- PRINT (parts of) a data grid as a REPORT
- Hide Income and Expenses budget items
- Define new budget items suitable for a club
- Define project items
- Analyse Income and Expenses at project level